SHIINE Action ITC Conference Grants
Conference Grants are aimed at supporting PhD students and ECI researchers from Participating ITC to attend international science and technology related conferences not specifically organized by the COST Action.
- The Applicant is either a PhD student of an Early Career Investigator (ECI). Early Career Investigator (ECI) is an individual who is within a time span of up to 8 years from the date they obtained their PhD/doctorate (full-time equivalent)
- The Applicant’s primary affiliation in an institution located in an ITC (Inclusiveness Target Country). The ITCs are as follows: Albania, Bosnia-Herzegovina, Bulgaria, Cyprus, Czech Republic, Estonia, Croatia, Hungary, Lithuania, Latvia, Luxembourg, Malta, Moldova, Montenegro, Poland, Portugal, Romania, Slovenia, Slovakia, Republic of North Macedonia, Republic of Serbia and Turkey.
- The Applicant must make an oral/poster presentation at the conference in question and must be listed in the official event/conference program. The main subject of the oral presentation / poster presentation / speech at the approved conference must be on the topic of the SHIINE Action and must acknowledge COST rules.
The participation of each Applicant will be pre-approved by the Grant Coordinator of the SHIINE COST Action. Attendance at European conferences is preferred. However, conferences held elsewhere can also be considered.
- The priority is always given to applications that are related to currently ongoing Working Groups, submitted by the WG members, and endorsed by the WG leaders.
- The submission for ITC GC should be made AFTER the abstract has been approved by the conference organizers.
- In order to ensure proper distribution of funds we never send more than one person to a single conference (especially if those people are from the same institution/country).
Find a conference
Just let us know if there is anything out there worth yours and other SHIINE participants attention!
Please double check to which Grant Period the conference belongs to. If a conference takes place between May (current year) and April (the next year), it belongs to given Grant Period in that year and should be applied in the ITC CG call announced specifically for given Grant Period.
How to apply?
To apply for a Conference Grant within the SHIINE Cost Action (CA18236), please send the following documents (in a single pdf file) to the Grant Coordinator Shane O’Sullivan Shane.OSullivan@tus.ie:
- motivation letter with the information on the conference;
- the Applicant’s CV, including recent publications (max. 1 page);
Additionally (if available):
- full paper
- the most recent conference booklet or leaflet / conference program (especially if the Applicant is listed);
- the invitation from the Organizers (for a keynote presentation, etc.).
The ITC conference grant evaluation procedure has been approved through e-vote by COST SHIINE Management Committee Members. The procedure is as follows:
- Please note that current call is ongoing and the applications can be submitted at any time.
- A Committee of Reviewers (SHIINE Core Group and Grant Coordinator) pre-evaluates all submitted applications in the context of their compatibility and relevance with the topic of the Action. The committee also checks if the applicant is a PhD candidate or ECI, and if he/she represents an ITC country.
- The actual number of applications to be funded is determined by the available budget. The Grant Coordinator confirms available funding with the Grant Manager, and informs successful Applicants about the result of the pre-approval.
- The Applicants that were successful during the pre-approval must then formally submit their applications via e-COST.
- Action Chair approves the applications that has been successfully pre-approved.
- The Grant Holder sends the grant letter.
It is expected that each ITC grantee will send a copy of their presentation/poster/paper to the Grant Coordinator of the SHIINE Action. It will be then disseminated using the official SHIINE website, social media, etc. The material must be submitted to the Grant Coordinator by email shortly after the conference. Photographic material from the conference (e.g. the Applicant with the SHIINE logo in background) will be requested.
Before filling the application, please consult the ITC Conference Grant rules in the COST Vademecum
Working Group 1
Chair of the WG 1
Dr. Nick Spencer
Working Group 2
Chair of the WG 2
Prof. Carmen Paunescu
Working Group 3
Chair of the WG 3
Dr. Peter Meister-Broekema
Working Group 4
Chair of the WG 4